Baldwin Residence

Baldwin Before

Before Plan

This house was built in 1876 and was originally a two-story home.  In 1935 the upper floor was destroyed by fire and never rebuilt.  Though the house initially did not have an interior kitchen, common at that time of construction, one was added to the home in later years.  There was at one time a central hall which was accessed by the foyer that housed the original staircase but those two spaces had been separated in later years by a wall.  The original dining room was also chopped up to add a pantry and powder bathroom near the kitchen space.  The house had two former bedrooms and two bathrooms reclaimed from former porch spaces.

Baldwin After

After Plan

The new owners wanted to restore the integrity of the original house but update it for today’s lifestyle.  They also wanted to add a Master Bedroom Suite which we did by taking over the former kitchen and adding a bathroom and closet to the rear of the home.  The pantry and powder room were both removed and the space returned to the dining room, which then became the new owner’s family room.  There was a built-in hutch original to the home which was restored.  What had become closed off central hall was turned into the kitchen and the opening widened between that space and the new family room.  The front foyer was also opened up directly to the kitchen.  What was originally a parlor with a turret room was turned into the casual dining room.

 

Advertisements



%d bloggers like this: